Plants For Hummingbirds | Hummingbird Flowers
Plants for hummingbirds, all you need to know about choosing hummingbird flowers and plants that attract hummingbirds to your backyard.
Planning my garden with plants for hummingbirds and hummingbirds favourite flowers combines two of my most pleasurable hobbies - backyard bird watching and gardening!
What could be better than having a gorgeous garden, and having it full of delightful hummers? And if the hummingbirds are happy to visit you, then you can be sure that you will enjoy the company of other garden and wild birds.
Tips For Using Plants That Attract Hummingbirds
I have found that if I stick to few guidelines when arranging plants that attract hummingbirds to my garden, I am successful and the birds are happy. The key is to plant suitable flowers and also provide the habitat that gives shelter, food, water and security.
- Provide enough space between plants to give hummingbirds room to hover and move easily from flower to flower.
- Hummingbirds are attracted to brightly–colored tubular flowers. Choose from perennials such as columbines, yukkas and cannas; biennials such as foxgloves and hollyhocks; and annuals, including petunias, salvias, fuchsia and impatiens for very happy hummers.
- As all other birds, hummingbirds are attracted to water. They prefer moving water to still ponds. Add a water mister to your garden, place it near broad leafed plants and watch them enjoy a bath!
- Hummingbirds like to perch! Add trellises or shepherd’s hooks to encourage them to stay. make sure that the perch is small enough for their tiny feet to be able to good grip.
- Make a hanging basket with your favourite hummingbird flowers in bright colours. It is a great way to decorate your patio and bring the little birds close up for exciting bird watching.
- Of course, use indigenous plants whenever possible. Indigenous plants need less water, less pesticide and less fertilizer. Check with your local nursery to make sure that you don't plant invasive plants. Birds drop the seeds of plants and quickly spread alien invaders.
My BEST Hummingbird Flowers
More Plants for Hummingbirds
Helping You Make a Wild Bird Heaven in Your Own Backyard
Go from Plants For Hummingbirds to Best Hummingbird Feeder
Go from Plants For Hummingbirds to Best Backyard Bird Feeders Home
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.